For the most part, Mac devices are reliable machines. However, in some instances, these great devices may encounter error and won’t load. When this trouble occurs, you will see a blank white screen. With such occurrence, your Mac device becomes as good as unusable.
Moreover, this normally happens if certain programs fail to update, dealing with incompatible drivers, and after updating your OS to a new version. All these reasons results in a blank white screen on Mac until certain steps are performed to bring your machine back to normal functionality.
So, with that said, in this article we will share to you how to solve white screen on Mac problem. Without further ado, let’s get right into it!
Fixing MacBook White Screen
Before even doing any kind of deep troubleshooting, resort first to simple fix such as checking your device’s peripherals.
What you want to do is disconnect first all kinds of hardware such as USB devices, scanners, printers, and so on. After disconnecting all peripherals, reboot your device. If your Mac boots up then most likely one of those hardware is the source why your Mac has white screen.
On the flip side, if this easy fix didn’t work out, and your device won’t just load, then here are some possible methods to fix your machine.
Verify or Repair Disks Using Disk Utility
This tool can fix certain disk issues, which of course include white screen on Mac devices. This is the reason why you must use it to your advantage if the above methods didn’t work out.
Here’s what you want to do:
- Restart your device while pressing down Command and R buttons
- Release these two keys if you see the Apple logo
- Select Disk Utility and press Continue
- Select the disk that you want to repair
- Then click the First Aid button
Now, if the tool says that the disk is likely to fail, then there’s really nothing you can do but you must replace it. On the other hand, if it says that the disk has been fixed, then you’re good to go.
You can press the Show Details to acquire more information about the repair that occurred.
These two are small amount of memory that your device utilize in order to store some kind of settings and for you to access them fast. These settings come with start-up disk selection, time zone, sound volume, and many more.
Now, if you are experiencing certain problems related to these settings, then for sure resetting PRAM/NVRAM can help you fix your device’s issue especially about white screen issue.
Follow the steps below to reset PRAM/NVRAM:
- Shut down your device
- Quickly press Command, Option, P, and R.
- Press down these four keys until your ear the start-up sound
- After hearing the sound, release the four keys
After your devices finishes with its start-up, you must go to System Preferences and adjust certain settings that were reset, which include display resolution, time zone, and so on.
Boot into Safe Mode
A safe boot feature in Mac OSX as well as MacOS was engineered for troubleshooting applications. It enables you to check the disk for all kinds of file system troubles. And if there’s a need, a repair would be your best choice. Starting your device in safe mode is the first thing you must perform if your device won’t just turn on.
In order to start safe mode, just follow the steps below:
- Press the power button, and quickly press down the Shift key
- After seeing the Apple logo, you must release the Shift key
- After booting the safe mode, make sure to delete cache files first. You see, a cache is a location where information is stored temporarily in order to make things load much faster. However, these files tend to become out-dated and they start piling up on your device, which ultimately result in a white screen issues.
- After getting rid of cache files, you must also get rid of recently installed programs. However, keep in mind that dragging them to the Trash Bin won’t really get rid of the programs because there will be some remnants of associated files on your device. However, you shouldn’t really worry because CLEANMYMAC X can help you with the issue. This particular software comes with an Uninstaller feature, which is engineered to uninstall programs completely without leaving any trace behind.
- It is free, so just download it. Then after downloading, select Uninstaller and choose the program that you want to get rid of. Click Uninstall and the program will be eliminated fully.
- After getting rid of all the unwanted and unnecessary files, just reboot your device without pressing any keys this time.
If all the methods we shared to you seems failing and you are still seeing that white screen your device, then you may have to reinstall your OS. You shouldn’t get anxious because this process won’t really affect your user settings, applications, files, and so on.
What happens is that only a fresh version of the operating system will be installed on your device once again.
Here’s how you want to do it for macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, macOS High Sierra, and macOS Sierra.
But before that, keep in mind that there are instances that the standard reinstall approaches won’t work because of the problems with the drive. In these particular instances, you must use the internet recovery in order to reinstall the OS.
- Here’s how you want to reinstall macOS from the web:
- Restart or turn on your device
- Press down the Command, Option, and R buttons until you see the Apple logo
- After that start-up is complete, you will see the Utilities window
- Pick the Reinstall choice and select Continue
- Simply follow the onscreen directions to complete the reinstallation
After you have brought your Mac device to life again, be sure to do some maintenance in order to preclude further problems in future. Also, software called CLEANMYMACX will also help you a lot in maintaining your Mac device.
After you have your device up and operating again, just install optimizer software to maintain it in good condition. In this case, CLEANERONE can aid preclude white screen problem from recurring by effectively highlighting large files, getting rid of duplicates as well as junk files.
Moreover, this software comes with great utilities such as Deep Uninstall and App Manger to aid you get rid of unnecessary programs completely.
All in all, with all the methods we shared to you above, you will be able to easily fix your white screen issues on your Mac device.
How about you? Do you have your own approach of fixing white screen? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below!